Wednesday, May 9, 2012

for the love of moms

Yes...I've been gone for a few weeks and I miss this blog. 

The past couple of weekends have been packed with friend visits, one concert (so, who's your Bob Dylan? As my husband taught me), and a trip to the volcano and hot springs. 

Between all of those weekends have also been some more cooking adventures. Nothing fancy in this post, but just some good ol' home cooking - consisting of our favorites family dishes. Best cooked by our moms. No question about it. But as much as we'd like to channel Sheldon's (The Big Bang Theory - which we are nuts about) whining for his mom's fried chicken and actually getting it, we have to settle for making these favorite dishes ourselves. 

First up: Arroz y Pollo...Chicken and Rice. I, at the very least, know THAT much Spanish :) I first had a taste of it at my mother-in-law's house and I fell in love. Not just in love but the kind that makes you beg for MORE. And paired with the best potato chips in the world (Volcan is the name and when it comes to food, especially chips, I never kid around), there are no words. Just drool forming on the corners of your mouth. 

...

Just did it. 

Anyway, I was very lucky to have been given this Costa Rican recipe book by my mother-in-law. I suppose she figured it was time to teach the girl how to fish and not just give her fish...You know, a kind of WWJD moment. 

almost Filipino-looking, eh?

The best thing about this is that it's a really easy recipe. 

imagine the potato chips. imagine. imagine. now go get a bag of chips and eat it all. 

Here's how I did mine. And I know, it's horrible that I won't even give you the measurements, BUT, I've learned in the past few months that it's just best to eyeball it and let your tastebuds dictate how much of each ingredient to put in. This does not apply to baking, of course. NEVER. 


  • Cut up some chicken breasts and season with salt, pepper and other herbs. I usually use thyme or oregano.
  • Sautee diced onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Add the chicken, chopped tomatoes, water and chicken cubes. Let it boil and cook until the chicken is tender.
  • In a separate pan, sautee some more onions and garlic. Add a cup or two (or more) of uncooked rice. Add achiote paste or cumin to add color and some flavor to the rice. Making it dark yellow/orange is the most important step. If it's not yellow, it ain't arroz y pollo. :p
  • Put the hot rice and chicken mixtures into a rice cooker. Add water 1.5 times the amount of the rice you put in. The amount of water will depend on the rice you are using, so you can adjust this of course. 
  • If you are using frozen veggies - carrots, peas, corn - add them into the rice cooker before covering it up. 
  • Put the rice cooker on "COOK" mode. Yes, I've once forgotten to do this and wondered why the rice was taking so long to cook. 
  • Smell all the goodness in that pot. 
  • Once cooked, leave it in the rice cooker ("WARM" mode) before serving. I'm not sure why, but it always tastes better this way. 
  • Eat with potato chips. Scoop that rice with your potato utensils. Eat more. Feel full to the brim. 
  • Scratch tummy. 
  • Take one last potato chip and load with rice and chicken.
  • Nap. (Don't forget to chew and swallow everything first.)

it tastes good. i just don't take the best pictures :p 


I was supposed to write about another dish, but I just ate some lime cheesecake and I need to...get some more. 

Later, 
Janice 

PS Happy Mother's Day to my dear Ditas... and all my favorite moms out there :) Mother's day is celebrated in August in Costa Rica, so lucky me, I can greet twice!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment