Wednesday, March 7, 2012

an apology to our oven

Okay. So...I have not been shy to blame all my so-so baked creations on our 20-ish old oven. Cake not too moist? Oven was too hot. Brownies with a burnt top? Oven was dumb. And the list goes on. 


friend or foe?




I owe this oven the biggest apology given by a human to a non-living thing. I don't know how many other times this has happened in history, but as far as I'm concerned, this is the most important one. 


After giving us the best chipotle wings this side of town (I don't know how competitors there are either), and the most awesome red velvet brownies EVER (it's the first we've tasted but still...whatever... the BEST...on top of it was the best frosting EVER too), and most recently, moist and tasty chicken with olives, I should have known it was never the oven's fault. 


I. AM. AN. AIRHEAD. Let's take this in the general sense and not get into specific circumstances, eh? It boils down to me not reading recipes well enough. For example, there is a SLIGHT difference when recipes ask for degrees C or F in oven temperatures. Basic stuff like that. An average person would have known. But I ain't average. I am below that. Vertically. And otherwise. 


So I suppose, I should move on to the most recent gifts from this oven to close out this apology. I'll feature the most recent 2 which have given us so much joy, we've allotted a specific range of weight gain this month just so we can enjoy without guilt. 


First up, red velvet brownies. I don't even need to tell you more than my husband ate 6 of these before lunch. I got a text from him after Spanish class saying, "There is cheese cake no more :( sorry!!" Okay, to get this right, let me set 2 facts straight: one, they were brownies (he loved them so much they could have been called doogie-shmoo-poo and he would have eaten them anyway); and second, he didn't eat them ALL. He just ate all the contents of the first of two containers. And his justification when I called him to get an explanation: "BUT baaaaabe, you said to eat something before lunch because it wouldn't be until 130pm!!" 


moist inside with a delicious layer of crunch on top
oh yes, those are squiggly frostings. because I'm fancy like DAT. but i later decided to squish down all of them.
I would marry this brownie if I weren't already taken.


I married the most awesome dude. 


Sooooo...the reason lunch would not be until 130pm that day was because I made chicken with olives via a recipe by Pioneer Woman. The lady knows her dark meat is all I can say. This is a slightly more complex "prep and forget-about-it" meal. I still managed to lay down on the couch with my husband while the chicken was in the oven. So, I say it counts under this category. I'm trying to rack up a couple of these easy meals to make so I can still cook when I start working. I imagine our weekdays to be: get home, prep ingredients, stick it in the oven or leave on the stove, shower or email (ahem), take it out, eat, wash dishes, eat dessert, brush teeth, sneak another dessert, brush teeth, pass out with a cookie in one hand. PERFECT. 


chicken thigh heaven


thanks for being so good. 


In other news, we just survived our first domestic disaster. I found it weird that there were flies around the kitchen. So we lit up candles (his 30th birthday ones) and put them on top of...an egg carton. My idea. OF COURSE. Soon enough, the whole thing lit on fire. Mr. G threw it out on the deck steps, managing to drop some burning bits of egg and carton on the couch and floor. Ergo...


and this is not even the worst burnt bit on the couch

this used to be my favorite pillow
I love how together, Mr. G and I manage to get into these comedic episodes. Anyway, time to get some more eggs! :)


xoxo,
Janice











No comments:

Post a Comment