Friday, March 2, 2012

try and try...

Since my last entry, I've baked two more times with mixed results. I still blame our old oven since I'm getting less than desired textural results. It could ALSO be that I'm a big bonehead when it comes to combining ingredients. Okay, I just won the discussion in my head (duh) and it's easier to blame the damn oven. :p


Day 4: Start of foodgawker experiments. First, a warning on foodgawker (and dwellinggawkr...and houzz. This requires another blog entry.) - DO NOT download any of these apps on your iphone (or better...iPad) if you have concerns on productivity. It will decline yours. Believe me. I spend hours ogling pictures and recipes on this site. I justify this since I am still on leave from work BUT you know, whatever. 


highly addictive. don't say you i didn't warn you.




Anyway, first was the chocolate chip cookies from Scientifically Sweet. Mine turned out way fatter BUT were chewy, which is my biggest criteria for cookies. So I'm happy and will likely stick to this recipe for a while BUT will try in another oven. :p I will leave the search for the best chocolate chip cookie recipe to my friend Katrina, who is doing an AWESOME job. I won't get in the way of her methodology, and will hope to benefit from the results ;) She is also responsible for introducing Ina Garten's herbed egg recipe and chipotle chilies to us common folk, so she knows her stuff. 


milk-dunkability: serious competition for oreo


Day 5: No cooking. Finished an entire container of yellow rice and chicken from the grocery PLUS chips (best ever. Another blog entry needed) AND leftover steak from lunch the day before. Entonces (I am learning Spanish after all), I fell asleep on the couch right after eating and wasted the entire afternoon. An ode to my single life...brings back fond memories with my sister. :)


Day 6: One recipe found via foodgawker for chocolate and cheesecake cupcakes and another via my wonderful Jamie Oliver app for sausage and zucchini carbonara. 


let me TRY to explain


Okay, so yes, they look less than desirable. I agree completely. They came out WAY different than expected. 


It turned into a complete meal: (1) the top is crunchy and can be used as a scooper, (2) the sides are perfect and can be the main course, and (3) the middle is gooey and can be the condiment. :p


I think I put them at the wrong temperature (seriously, I can't figure out how to  work our stove) and as per the layering, I think next time, I'll put the cheesecake mixture at the bottom or at least swirl it around with the chocolate base, instead of putting a big dollop on top, which caused the collapsed look. Taste-wise, only minor adjustments needed: less chips and use milk chocolate vs semi-sweet. 


I also had some leftover mixtures, so I dumped it in a loaf pan and I think it yielded better results - as brownies. I know it doesn't look too good, but it is :p 






Now before I get to the main course, I have to say Jamie Oliver is a rock star. Therefore, I begged pretty please to my husband so I could buy the recipe sets for this app. A total of $10 bucks well spent. :) Anyway, on to the results.


thanks to Mata for the recommendation :)
 


Okay, carbonara was...PERFECT. Spicy mexican sausage, sweet zucchini and onions, creamy egg sauce, and smooth tagliatelle. I. WANT. MORE. It is taking every pound of me to not touch the leftovers for my husband who is arriving from a business trip tonight. Poor Mr. G. Seriously, people! It is simple to make and absolutely delicious. A few simple steps: 


1. Cook pasta as per package directions. 
2. Saute onions and sausage (until brown) in olive oil. Add zucchini and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk egg yolks, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season with pepper. 
4. Drain pasta and immediately pour into the bowl with the egg and cream mixture. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs. (I am drooling as I type this.)
5. Pour sausage and zucchini mixture to the pasta or vice versa (ie pasta and egg mixture to the saute pan). Taste but resist the urge to finish the whole thing. Oh, season again if you must before serving.
6. Drool. Serve. Drool. Eat. 


my insides are calling for more of this


I need to finish this blog entry before I eat more of the carbonara...and the brownies. I've had 3 cupcakes. And it's only 8pm. 


xoxo, 
Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment