Monday, March 12, 2012

snippets of the long weekend


Okaaaaay...


So, I haven't posted in a few days and someone already noticed. :p Anyway, I was happy to see on Facebook and i-message updates that my sisters and several friends were going on cooking sprees while I was pigging out 6 hours away from home. My hubby and I went with our godparents (in marriage) R & D, to Golfito to ogle, well, buy appliances and other stuff (ooops) in the duty-free port. I won't go into the gory details of what we bought for the house and wish we could take home (yes, stand mixer, you), but I will say we had THE most amazing time and gorged on the yummiest food. :) And yes, I remain to be a dumb-dumb and forgot to take pictures during the trip, but with a new camera in hand, I promise to document our next trips better. 


After we got back, we spent the following day on a cooking and baking spree since we...ummm...like to eat? Okay, so it was so we could use up leftover ingredients that almost went bad while we were out. It's hard to not have stuff get spoiled when you're only cooking for two (with an appetite for four) and most things in the grocery are packaged for more people to consume. 


Anyway, thus banana cupcakes. They turned out a little greasier than I thought they should. But who else is to blame but me because I used an entire stick of butter instead of about 3/4 because I was too lazy to guesstimate how much to leave in the container. ANYWAY... 


Mashing bananas is good for anger management.


...and PF Chang lettuce wraps, which is the best thing to cook (after fried rice) to use up leftover food in the fridge and pantry. The sauce is to die for too! Can be used for salads, just add more lemon or vinegar if you want.Thanks to my friend Anya who is also getting domesticated over in the coast of Australia for this idea :) 


Lettuce, schmettuce. We ended up eating this with rice.


We were also having some friends over after lunch, so we made our favorites to share: red velvet brownies...


I love the dude...so I handed over the whisk after mixing. 


...and chipotle wings. I. LOVE. YOU.


Wings for the brave.


It was a super nice and sunny day and a lot of them came out to play :p


Candy is the queen of the deck.

Bright additions to any party.
Of course, also those who can have chocolate and (tons of) alcohol. 


The weekend extended to the next morning as memories (or the lack of) courtesy of four vodka cranberries kept haunting me. I thought I was going insane when I looked out the kitchen window and saw this:



How was I surprised?! We have horses. We live in a farm.


xoxo, 
Janice


P.S. My new babies just arrived. Will drool over these after my much-needed nap! 


Dear Donna and Ina - We thank you for the excess pounds.







No comments:

Post a Comment